Monday, April 20, 2009

Domino, How I Miss Thee

I never knew just how much I would miss Domino magazine until recently. It is finally sinking in, it's gone and it's not coming back. Starting April 1st, they even shut down the website which is heartbreaking because it had so much in it from the deco-files, the the blogs, contests, etc.

Domino was my very favourite magazine as soon as I discovered it. I remember walking by the newstand and I was on my way to pick up my usual copy of Elle Decor, and this just stood right out:

I knew right then and there I was looking at something special, a unique/fun/delicious new treat that, once completed, left me thirsty for more. Along with baking, interior design/decorating is another huge passion of mine; it's seems to be something I've always had an knack and eye for. Domino was amazing because the styles, rooms they showed weren't your typical home pictures and none really followed a set style which I really loved. Now that it is gone, and it left so quickly, I am truly missing it more than ever. Even more so, I am cherishing what I do have of it. My magazines are now precious and I'm safely keeping them. I should have gotten more of them new when I had the chance, now all there is left is to outbid someone on Ebay.

Anyways, in honor of the late/great/fabulous/amazing Domino I thought I would feature one of their recipes. Finding recipes wasn't exactly a common/likely occurrence in Domino, but when they posted one, you can bet it would be amazing. Here is a favourite of mine from the July 2008 issue:

Strawberry Cream Pie
(no bake)

2 lbs. fresh strawberries (about 4 pints), tops removed, plus 4 strawberries, reserved
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
5 tbsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
2 1/2 cups graham-cracker crumbs
10 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp. confectioners' sugar

Place 2 pounds strawberries in a blender and blend on high until pureed, about 10 seconds (do in two batches if necessary). Combine milk, sugar and cornstarch in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, and whisk until dissolved. Add the strawberry puree and lemon juice. Cook on high heat, whisking frequently, until the mixture is thick and bubbling (about 7 minutes); remove from heat. Place graham-cracker crumbs in a 10" x 1 1/2" -deep pie plate, drizzle with melted butter and mix until all the crumbs are moistened. With the back of a spoon, press evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate to form a crust. Pour strawberry fillng into crust and let cool completely (about 30 minutes). Cover and refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, place heavy cream in a mixing bowl and, with an electric mixer, blend on high until stiff peaks form. Add confectioners' sugar and blend another 10 seconds. Using a spatula, spread the whipped cream over the filling. Slice reserved strawberries, add to top and serve.

There is one thing Domino you can still pick up at your local bookstore (and I highly recommend it if do not currently already own it), but Domino's Book of Decorating is a must have (in my opinion) in all homes. Affordable, stylish, amazing inspiration and how-tos to jazz up your home space.

Eventhough it is gone, I still dream that it could one day come back. Don't you? :(

6 comments:

  1. Am I crazy that I have never seen this magazine?? I guess I won't miss it then, probably a good thing LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so heartbroken too! When they took the site down I was just devastated! I just finished reading the Domnio book this past weekend and agree that it is a must own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this magazine..but I know how you feel...it's like when they took away a favourite lipstick colour that I was using!!! Better go and have a cuppa and a treat♥x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yea, i'm with you. i miss domino very much:( that pie looks yummy btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, was so disappointed to discover that they had discontinued the magazine! I am a photographer and used to LOVE the fresh & fun images. ps, I JUST made the strawberry pie; it is downstairs cooling on my kitchen counter :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. since I've started writing my blog I immediately become a domino fan and I still like to dicover domino tip frommalla over the blog I like...
    unfortunately it's to late...so sad, isn't it?

    thank you vor visiting me at my blog
    http://alices-adventuresinwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete