Monday, March 16, 2009

Your Slice of Pie

Waitress
My first viewing of this film was one of no notice. I hadn't watched a single trailer before seeing the movie; it's only draw to me was it's beautiful poster and encouragement to see it with a friend. Initially I expected to see a sweet romantic comedy, but what I ended up seeing was so much more than that; not only did it inspire my love for pies and baking even further, it also tugged on my heart-strings and warmed my soul.



The variety of pie that is made, consumed and imagined is truly spectacular. Almost any food can go into a pie. Even speghetti can be made in a pie. The main character Jenna has this uncanny ability to imagine a pie right on the spot and dream of the ingredients mixing before her eyes. There were a few pies in particular that I have been dying to try out. One in particular I have been lucky enough to find a recipe for on the Recipe for Living website.
Jenna's Marshmellow Mermaid Pie
Ingredients
9 graham crackers

1/2 C. sweetened, flaked coconut, toasted
5 Tbs. butter or margarine, melted
34 lg. marshmallows (8 oz.)
1/2 C. whole milk
1 1/2 C. heavy or whipping cream 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate, grated
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine coconut and graham crackers in food processor until coarse crumbs form.Combine crumbs and butter with fork. Press to bottom and side of 9-inch pie plate. Bake 10 minutes and cool on wire rack.Heat marshmallows and milk in 3-qt. saucepan over low heat until smooth, stirring constantly. Remove saucepan from heat. Cool completely (30 minutes.)In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold marshmallow mixture into whipped cream with grated chocolate. Spoon filling into cooled crust. Refrigerate pie at least 3 hours or overnight.Top with mini marshmallows, maraschino cherries and rainbow sprinkles.

There was one pie in particular that caught my eye, a combination of two flavours that could make me drool just thinking about it. It's Jenna's Strawberry Chocolate Oasis Pie! One character in the film (old Joe) describes it as " A thing’a beauty … how each flavor opens itself, one by one, like a chapter in a book. First, the flavor of an exotic spice hits ya … Just a hint of it … and then you get flooded with chocolate, dark and bittersweet like an old love affair …”

With a description like that, how could anyone not want to try such a scrumptious slice?

Sure, there are recipes out there that create that person's own interpretation of the pie, but this is a pie I want to create my own little recipe for. As I've always wanted to find a way to incorporate a bit of a chocolatey fudge spin on a pie, I think this is the pie that can allow me to try this.

Once I have created something that pleases in everyway, I will post pictures and the recipe to share with all:)

Here are some of the other pies that were imagined for this delightful film:


Fallin' in Love Chocolate Mousse Pie



Ingredients
9-inch baked pastry shell

1 14-oz. can condensed milk (not evaporated)
2/3 C. water
1 (4 serving) pkg. chocolate pudding mix (not instant)
1 1-oz. square unsweetened chocolate
2 C. (1 pt.) whipping cream, stiffly whipped


Directions
In large saucepan, combine condensed milk, water and pudding mix; mix well. Add chocolate. Over medium heat, cook and stir rapidly until chocolate melts and mixture thickens. Remove from heat; beat until smooth. Cool. Chill thoroughly; stir. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into prepared pastry shell. Chill 4 hours until set.

Without a doubt this song will be in my head for the rest of the day. Here is a YouTube clip I stumbled across with the pie song from Waitress, sang to images from Snow White.


No comments:

Post a Comment